Tuesday 27 March 2018

Splurge worthy

I brought a beloved rug to the thrift store today. It was a beautiful leather shag rug. It was a splurge worthy purchase nearly 20 years ago. It moved from room to room finally landing in the bedroom in the basement. It wasn't always the best carpet to have. It was too heavy to haul outside. It had to be vacuumed. The dog loved rolling on it and squashing the newly vacuumed and fluffed up leather shag. It showed the white dog hairs. It wasn't particularly warm under the feet. Yet, it was beautiful and luxurious. As I've been clearing clutter and cleaning house and inspecting the room we have for guests, I noticed a musty smell. My basement isn't terribly musty ever because of a wood stove and rear entry basement so it's easy to air out. I smelled the rug. Oooh! We shook it outside in the snow and left it there for a day. I brought it upstairs into my office. Oh how lovely it is! But after two days the smell was still there and it appeared stronger upstairs. Baking soda didn't work. It was time to get rid of it. And I am hoping someone knows how to clear the musty smell or perhaps doesn't care if it smells a little if it's on a porch or at camp. I'm left with a bare floor and a tiny sheepskin under my feet. It was time to let go. I have such an appreciation for that rug. I realize that sometimes it is important to let go of even fine beloved things if they no longer serve. Let someone else have the small joy of a great find.

No comments:

Post a Comment