Friday 27 July 2018

Car less freedom

Tomorrow, it's two months with no car. I've had ready access to a vehicle since I was 18 years old and I thought it might be impossible. I've sure had people tell me that you can't be without a car in Thunder Bay. And that the bus system is terrible. However, it depends where you live in the city and where you work. I can do it. My bicycle is no longer collecting dust in the shed. I feel healthier. Actually, I know I'm healthier - I can bike up more hills than before and I feel like a super being. I want to shout out with my arms in the air, like Alice, my granddaughter, "I can do it!"

Don was telling someone the other day that it's improved our relationship. My eyebrow went up. Yeah, he said, we depend on each other more. We get groceries together with our bikes and backpacks. We go on adventures together on our bikes. He likes seeing me have fun. And being stronger.

I have more connection with nature. You just never know when it's going to rain. I used to get annoyed when I got wet and now I don't because it's bound to happen. I can smell the trees and feel the pockets of hot air and cool air. There is a feeling of freedom moving through space. It's what the car advertisements are selling you - a car flying on the open road through forests and lake country, a beautiful sunny day, and so on. They never show you the congested traffic. Well, you can still get that freedom and spaciousness on a bicycle.

I feel more like a "we" than a "me". I don't know how to explain this.



No comments:

Post a Comment