Friday 9 January 2015

Popcorn for the road

I am going to Marathon, 3 1/2 hour drive away to teach meditation this weekend. Yahoo! A road trip. I'm not driving so I can sit back, chat, or knit, and have a snack. I made us this flavoured popcorn.

It's from the book Homemade - Winter by Yvette van Boven

1 scant cup (100g) popping corn (I used much less because I like it stickier)
Oil for popping corn
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp pancake syrup ( I used maple syrup, but it worked well)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sesame seeds (I had black ones on hand)

Pop the corn with your method of choice. You might have to do it in 2 batches.

Heat the syrup with the spices in a small saucepan bring to a boil, boil softly for about 2 minutes, then stir in the butter. Be careful, it's hot.

Pour about half of the caramel over the popcorn in a big bowl, swiftly stirring the popcorn around so it's all coated. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds. Continue turning the popcorn, and pour the rest of the caramel over it.

You can eat as is, or spoon heaps of popcorn onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment