Wednesday 13 June 2012

Moms and bread

I have had some busy days with a funeral tomorrow and a wedding in my garden next week. My mom ironed our clothes and made me a little Finnish lunch - rye bread, butter, and pickled herring to take with me to work. It is wonderful to have a mom to do that for me. I associate moms with bread. And my mom makes terrific bread. I remember as a little girl going to school with my dark sour rye bread sandwiches - rarely, thank goodness. Everyone stared at my food. But it was good. I couldn't understand why the other kids were eating that fluffy pastry-like stuff for. I remember thinking that we sure were different and that I didn't want to trade lunches. I usually went home for lunch to a little English lady's house who lived a few houses away from ours. I loved her voice and she had the most brilliant smile. I don't even remember her name or what she made for lunch but I do remember that when we colored together she colored in circles and always outside the lines. And it was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment