Saturday 4 January 2014

Restart

Every new year I have the desire to be different. To do things like I have always wanted to do things but never got around to it. I feel entrenched in living a certain way. I have my habits. I have ideas about how I should be. I have looked at these ideas and the way I do things and I wonder why I do things that I don't want to do. Even when, at the moment, I know I don't want to do something, an invisible hand makes me do it.  Or so it seems. Habit. Hmmmm. I want a new habit. I know that if I start doing something new and I keep doing it - then the new takes hold and the old falls away. One pointedness is required. I can't have two opposing wishes. 

My teacher doesn't listen to excuses. There is only now. Press the restart button. At any moment the restart button is available to be pushed. Just remember. 

This is from the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad:

You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. 

Know what you want more than anything else. The supreme desire. Happiness. Peace. Joy. Love. Contentment. Freedom. Remember it. Head in that direction by choosing for it. Asking the question - is what I am doing bringing me closer to my supreme desire?

I don't think I have to worry or wonder so much about the little things. On my good days they are all little things! On the other days I just remember.  And press the restart button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment