Saturday 9 February 2013

An alive book

I have been busy with my books.

Last weekend I taught a course with my friend from London, Ontario. During the time she was here she helped me cull my books. Four big boxes went to the Friends of the Library yesterday. Today, with the empty space on shelves, I have been organizing and rearranging some books. They are my friends. Now I have no more books on the floor. Too bad - I like the look of books on floors.

I have been reading the book Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese. He read at the library a few weeks ago. His joy, his presence and his relaxedness were amazing. I have been reading the book out loud to Don. It says on the back jacket cover that "Wagamese is capable of true grace on the page." It's very true! I have been moved to laughter and to tears in almost every chapter. I found the rhythm of the book easy, so easy to read. If I have a different rhythm from the author's voice it is difficult to read out loud. I follow the rhythm of this book and want to read it forever. It flows. It moves. It brings something powerful and magical and lovely to the moment.

Here is the boy's grandmother talking to him: "We need mystery. Creator in her wisdom knew this. Mystery fills us with awe and wonder. They are the foundations of humility, and humility, grandson, is the foundation of all learning. So we do not seek to unravel this. We honour it by letting it be that way forever."

Every book before it is opened and read holds a mystery. You have to read the book, word by word, paragraph by paragraph, to get the full flavour. It is a most exhilarating feeling to love the words, the emotions, and the mmmmm that pours forth from the aliveness of the unfoldment of the story yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment