Friday 7 February 2014

World party

Good grief! I am already crying and the Olympic Games haven't even started.  Every 2 years we have this world party and I find it a joyful event. Every national anthem is a tear jerker. 

It's a family tradition. My parents watched Olympics when I was a kid. They stayed up late and got up early. Hooted and hollered. My dad's favourite was hockey and cross country skiing events in winter. Track and field in summer. My mom's favourite above all is ice skating. And all the human stories! 
Years ago, Thunder Bay hosted the Canadian ice skating championships and my mom went to the whole event. She clapped so much that the palms of her hands were bruised. She phoned me from Australia this morning to remind me that the opening ceremonies start today. For her the ceremonies start at 2 am and she was staying up. She's 81. 

When I lived in Finland I noticed they were all sports crazy. So it's not just my family.  In Kokkola, the city where I lived, they had a Sunday soccer event. Literally everyone who wasn't working  or sick attended. It was fabulous for a city of about 30,000. It was surprising and wonderful. We snuggled under blankets drinking coffee and eating pulla. It was the fun of the event for me and I don't know the rules of soccer or any other sport for that matter. The journey not the destination. Party! Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment