Saturday 1 December 2012

The old port of Montreal

I walked all over the old part of Montreal today. I love the old buildings, the doorways and the little windows and the cobblestone streets that look like alleys. The old town square was all decked out in Xmas trees. I window shopped (rapidly because it was a frigid day) looking at beautiful québécois art. Cafes and restaurants were getting ready with white tablecloths and wine glasses for the evening crowd.

I went to Notre Dame Cathedral and meditated there (and warmed up). The spaciousness was just amazing. It's the empty space I like most about churches and cathedrals. We sure put a lot of effort and beauty into buildings in the past. There was so much to look at and admire and be amazed at. It was such a change walking back with the stark square black and grey clean lined buildings with plain windows and glass doors. It was easy to walk by. But I've always liked the old parts of the world with it's essence of life lived.

Whiski dude and I went for a coffee at Pourquoi Pas Cafe on rue Amherst. The fellow behind the counter remembered us from the last few days and chucked Whiski under the chin and said hiya Whiski. And the little pooch falls asleep at the bar every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment