Wednesday 4 December 2013

Thrifty

I went to the Friends of the Library bookstore yesterday. It turned out to be a Canadiana day for me. I bought some Robertson Davies  and Morley Callaghan novels. I've never read those two Canadian greats. I look forward to reading them.

Marjorie Harris writes great gardening books. I thought the person who wrote Thrifty, might be someone else, but no, it's the same person. What a fun book! I've read lots of books with titles like How to Live on Nothing, Cheap Household Hints, How to be Practical and......something. They all seem dour and not so sexy. This one gives me a sense of, oh boy, this sounds like fun!

Marjorie says, "Thrift is so muddled with the idea of cheapness that it's a source of great irritation to frugal types. Cheap is someone who buys based only on price, whose life experiences are guided by price, and who would probably give up something sublime because it costs too much. The rules of thrift aren't meant to develop a stingy quality; indeed, it should bring on a feeling of well-being rather than deprivation. To thrive is all-important. Being thrifty requires a brain; being cheap doesn't. Being thrifty is figuring out how things work and making them work more efficiently. Being thrifty means being self-aware."

No comments:

Post a Comment