Tuesday 8 July 2014

Superhero - Day 33

I've thought a lot about putting on my sneakers and walking instead of driving.
Today I walked to work and back. Then to pick up my car, about a 45 minute walk, then walked back to work later. I was tired. Not so easy walking. And I am throwing up excuses about how I need a car but every time I do there is someone that says no that's not true. I met someone who takes a bus all the time and she knows the bus routes of the city. She said I don't need to transfer to where I have a weekly client. The bus drops me right in front of her residence. Okay, good. But I can't go to the U.S. with a rental car, can I? Apparently I can for very reasonable rates. Okay, good. I met someone I've seen biking a lot and asked him if he bikes all year. He said he's never had a car (he is about 60 years old). He takes a bus in the midst of winter. Don hasn't had a car since he was 34. He bikes or walks. He can carry anything home on his bike! And said he would get all the groceries if we didn't have a car.

Most people who have a car say they really need a car. At least in Thunder Bay....long distances, lousy transit schedules, no rapid transit, etc. Is this true for me?
I think it would be fun to see if I could do it. Have no car. Maybe it would be a hassle and maybe not. I could always buy another one if I really missed it. Wouldn't a superhero at least check it out? Wouldn't transit become more popular, along with more routes, more bike lanes, more sidewalks?
I was in Seattle once and they have free bus service in a 3 mile radius of city centre. Buses were full.
Wouldn't it be cool if we reduced our carbon footprint if we can?

No comments:

Post a Comment