Thursday 17 November 2011

My first yoga experience.

I remember my very first yoga class. My daughter and her friend who were about 12 or 13 years old wanted to try yoga. I went with them to the teacher's apartment for a private yoga session. I had no idea what to expect. This was before yoga clothes and yoga equipment etc. We put three blankets on the floor and sat with our arms in the air for a very long time and said namaste. We did some strange breathing that felt pretty good. We started to move up and down and sideways and every which way. Thank goodness there was no one my age there. I assumed that the girls would be flexible because they were young but I had no idea how I was doing. It didn't matter. The girls were laughing and having fun. I remember rolling my way into the shoulder stand and coming right back down. None of this would have brought me back to a yoga class. It was the final relaxation, savasana, or what we popularly call the corpse pose, that ultimately got me hooked on yoga. We lay there going through our whole body, bit by bit, relaxing, letting go of holding, and wow! I had never been so relaxed in my life. Actually, I didn't know it was relaxation that I was experiencing. I thought it was some kind of out of body thing happening. Now, I can not imagine life without that experience. It was and still is absolutely magical. And I have become a yoga teacher because of that first time. I still do yoga to experience that. For me, the final relaxation is the icing on the cake. I wholeheartedly wish relaxation for everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I still remember those yoga classes too, very fondly!

    I have been missing yoga in my life very much, and have recently started going to yoga at a community centre near my house. It's not the most relaxing atmosphere (in a gymnasium, with kids running by in the hall) but usually once we get to the meditation, I don't even notice where I am anymore.

    I have been reading your blog a bit and am glad you are well!

    Namaste :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, the relaxing effect of yoga is the reason why many people want to try it. It makes one connect to their inner self, and improve their physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. It has proven to give a sense of calm and make regular practitioners feel less tired and moody. We really are fortunate for trying yoga!

    Regards,
    Nicolas Ervin

    ReplyDelete