Friday 3 February 2012

Cleaning Day

When I lived in Finland for a year when I was 21 years old, I boarded with a lovely couple who had a daughter my age still at home. Ninni, was the mom, and she cleaned house every Friday, and baked the whole week's baking, bread, buns, and cakes. Even if she worked that day. She just did part of it in the morning and the rest when she came home. The whole family ended up having the weekend off. And we all went for a sauna on Friday night. It was such a homey thing on the last day of the week. I have tried to keep this ritual of the cleaning part at least. Today, with the weather so spring like, windows open, vacuuming done, food organized for supper, well, it just feels wonderful.

I notice that when I can keep the cleaning to the same day each week, I don't have to think about it every day. I also end up leaving space for it on Fridays. I don't jam my day so full that it can't happen.

There is a great book by Annie B. Bond, what a great name to have, isn't it? The book is called Home Enlightenment: practical, earth-friendly advice for creating a nurturing, healthy, and toxin-free home and lifestyle. She talks about the spirit of home and goes through room by room with cleaning hints and ideas for eco-products in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment