Thursday 16 February 2012

A library

This is a part of my library at home. I love books on shelves, on the floor, and in every room.

My love for books began when I was about 7 years old when a friend of my parents gave us boxes and boxes of old books. My parents were thrilled because they were all in Finnish. There were novels about the war, about the wild west......and real war books, and dictionaries and some about learning English and I think some romances but who knows. My parents read them and I cataloged them. I put numbers and letters on them and put them in order. I never could read them. It didn't matter. I held them and imagined all the good stories in them. I had a few books of my own......Heidi......Black Fury.......Anne of Green Gables. My most favourite book was the collected Grimm Fairy tales. My dad read them to me......yep, we only had a Finnish copy.

I am so grateful for those first books. I am so grateful that my parents got lost in their reading. Books appeared so magical to me. The surprises!

To this day one of my favourite things is to read first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. That just tickles me.

No comments:

Post a Comment