Saturday 4 February 2012

A Pussycat

Some people are dog lovers. Some people are cat lovers. Some are both.

I prefer dogs. When I was a kid we had both but never at the same time. Once though, a cat wandered into our yard and kept hanging out, and of course, us kids put out milk for it. It had no tail, just a little stub. We made up stories as to how it lost its tail. They were all sad stories and we started to feel sorry for this cat. We called it Pussy. I can't remember if it was ever allowed in the house. She wasn't a particularly friendly cat either, but it hung around as we kept feeding it. And one day it gave birth to kittens, I think 5 of them. What a surprise! We made a home for the family from a cardboard box and pillows and things. Pussy stayed for a few weeks, if I remember that right, and then promptly left. We ended up with kittens to feed. It was so much fun. And eventually we kept one of them. I can't recall what happened to the rest but I remember thinking how could a mom leave her kittens like that.

Since I have Felix, the dog, this is the only cat I have now, and am happy that Felix doesn't know that it is a cat, or else this little pussycat might be de-stuffed one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment