Sunday 16 September 2012

Books on yoga.........Yoga

This week I bought two books on yoga. They are books that I have never seen before nor heard of spoken. I should have known not to buy them. In the last few years there have been a lot of new yoga books but very, very few good ones. Each book that comes out seems to have less and less real information on yoga. They have routines and they talk about the same 8 limbs of yoga but have no substance. In fact, they have a lot less substance than ever before in history. I have a lot of yoga books and I go back to older ones when I want to check something out, especially about pranayama or philosophy. I can't understand what I am searching for when I buy another! Good grief - maybe I should stop. But I love people's take on it. The only thing is that the "takes" out there are pretty diluted. Or, it seems that they are taking this amazing, rich practice and dumbing it down.

I guess this is my Sunday rant.

There are some authors I fall back on again and again: Donna Farhi, Judith Lasater, B.K.S Iyengar, Erich Schiffman, Don Stapleton, Timothy McCall, and most things put out by the Himalayan Institute, especially the Yoga International magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment