Tuesday 19 March 2013

Absorption

Baba Hari Dass said that there is no point in reading a book and not absorbing anything from it. He is so right! I tend to gobble books. I am a glutton. From one book to another to another. But when I actually savour a book, read it, muse on it, in other words, absorb it, taking it in deeply, well - then it's mine. The book and the story and learning it contains becomes a part of me. It sinks into complex memory and I can use it, right then, or later.

Isn't it the same with everything? It's the same with yoga for sure. If I dart around doing this posture and that posture and this chant and that mudra, then I don't savour or absorb....dare I say download or save the information. And not doing a final relaxation of any kind? Well - foolish and wasteful. There is something to be said for going slow enough, languishing delightfully in postures, like watching the clouds float by, that infuses the beingness with a delicious wholeness. A wholeness, an understanding of something un-nameable which allows for wisdom to arise. So a meaning.......a meaningful life......a raison d'etre floats up.

Yep! Do less but savour more.

No comments:

Post a Comment