Friday 1 March 2013

Science anyone?

I think I should have studied science. But I didn't. It was more of a boy's and man's world when I was in high school. And then it just seemed too late in university. My favourite class in university was Universal History with Dr. Kenneth M. Dodd. I am a Dodd survivor. He was tough. He was good. He was scary. He was fair. I thought that his class was what university was all about. We had a reading list of 13 books (first year university). Some of the 13 had 2 volumes. Herodotus. Toynbee. Childe. Machiavelli. Big names. I learned to read books by skimming. Before that I had read every word of the books I read. I loved words and language. So skimming started because there was no way I could read all those books and do the other 4 classes too. I read the first chapter, then every first sentence of each paragraph, or thereabouts, and then the last chapter. And anything in between that seemed interesting or understandable. I was amazed at what I learned (besides skimming or speed reading).

I love overviews. I love big, long stories. The big picture. The nitty gritty doesn't appeal as much.
Today I was reading The Field by Lynne McTaggart and Fritjof Capra's The Hidden Connections. I flipped through and I checked the index and read big chunks of both. I learned that it's a magical universe. I learned there is way more than I can understand. I learned that science and spirituality are converging. They can both teach each other something. I learned that a long time ago, body and mind weren't separate concepts and weren't studied separately. Instead, it was body and soul that were studied. I learned that it is possible that I and you too, are way more powerful than we can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment