Sunday 28 April 2013

Simple?

I had breakfast with some friends this morning. Joan has just come back from swimming with the dolphins. She was telling about them: how wise and wonderful they are; the talking with their bodies; and that they mostly do three things - eat, play and have sex. I had the thought about the contrast between dolphins and humans. Good grief! How complex our lives are today. I am not sure this evolved brain of ours has brought us much happiness.

Eating. Sex. Play. vs Work. Study. Gathering stuff. Cleaning. Thinking.
Gees!

I've been thinking all afternoon about this.......food grows in the earth, water flows, we know how to play. Yeah, I know it's cold up here in the north, but really! Do we have to live with so much complexity? Do I need so many different things. In fact, multiple things to do something simple. How many pots and cups and plates? How many phones? How many books to read what someone else thinks about? How many shoes for two feet? It seems perverse to be so natural by nature and to live so complex by deliberation.

photo of Don's hobby

No comments:

Post a Comment