Tuesday 15 May 2018

13 days to no car

Happy spring!
After a lot of thought, I've decided to get rid of my car. Big Mama is old and ailing. Rusty brake lines, leaky gas line, finicky locks, gas cap needs a screwdriver to open, rear door sometimes refuses opening, awwwww, she's just old and grey. My mechanic said "now, it's time".

This means there will be no car in the household. I feel excited. Life will look different.  I might lose some belly fat. Save money. Have adventures. Meet new people. Maybe spend more time at home. I'm not all sure what it's going to look like. I can always get a car later if I can't do it.

I'm not completely understanding why I want to do this. Don hasn't owned a car since the late 70's. So he is an inspiration. He rides a bicycle or walks. But I've had a car for visiting and hiking and groceries and trips. I plan to rent a car occasionally. I'd like to bike more. Walk more. I live a 10 minute walk away from work and restaurants and the best coffee shops and the bus network and the marina.

I've noticed that when I walk somewhere for a chore like going to the bank it's more fun and doesn't feel at all like a chore. When I take the car, well, it is a chore. Go figure.

I have a polka dotted bike helmet that says Nutcase above my forehead. This should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment