Tuesday 29 May 2018

First car-less day adventure

I walked to work early this morning. The weather was perfect for walking. The birds chirping their songs. I spent most of the afternoon in the garden and planted all my plants and as usual still don't feel I have enough. I will have to do seeds now.

I was walking later in the day along McVicar Creek towards the marina. Men were fishing. Someone caught a huge steelhead today. A few folk were eating sandwiches along the stone wall, watching the fishermen. As I walked along Cumberland a young man fell off his bicycle right beside me. He lay on his back, stunned, not moving. His bicycle rested beside him. Traffic stopped. I went over and moved the bicycle off the road onto the sidewalk and helped the man up. He stumbled off the road. He was drunk as a skunk. The kind of drunk where you lose your legs. They just don't hold you up. Otherwise he seemed unhurt. He thanked me and asked me if this was the way to Fort William. I said it sure is but you better stay off the road. Walk your bike on the sidewalk, I said. I can be bossy. He asked me where I was going and I said just over there, less than a block away. He said I'll come with you. I said you can't. But come with me for part of the way. He held his bike with one hand and reached out and held my hand with the other. Oh wow, my heart softened. It was such a firm, solid grip. I was helping someone. Awwwww.  He stumbled on his shoelace which had undone. He was wobbly again. I said he should rest before he gets on his bike. Naw, I'll keep going. I said if the cops see you like this they might nab you. He nodded. He thanked me again and asked if he could give me a hug. Yes, I said. It was a beautiful hug. He let me help him into the shade under some bushes and trees near a chainlink fence. He was really concerned about his bike. I pushed the handlebar into the chainlink so it couldn't fall and it would be hard to steal quickly. I tied his shoelace. I told him that he'll make it. He's doing good. His arms revealed scars. Lots of them. I hope he does make it. Whatever that means. I was grateful to have been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment