Wednesday 7 March 2012

The make-up story

Yesterday, I took a late day shower before my evening yoga classes. I was buzzing around having a snack and getting my clothes ready and hair dried and forgot to put any makeup on. I was already in the car and noticed my blank eyes in the rear view mirror. Oops! Now I don't wear makeup all the time but it was a first class with new students and winter white skin, and I had worn at least mascara, eyeliner and lipstick all winter. I chuckled and went to work. I was so tempted to go back and put some colour on my face. But I resisted on purpose.

I wore makeup at 14 years of age whenever I was leaving the house up to somewhere in my 40's. Then I took a whole summer to play with going out of the house with absolutely no makeup. It started when I saw my friend, an esthetician, in a grocery store with no makeup. I had never seen her with no makeup and she looked soft and beautiful. (She is beautiful with makeup too!) She looked wonderful. And I thought couldn't I look wonderful too? Why do I have to wear it?

I stopped little by little, going out occasionally without any until finally I wore none, ever, for about half a year. I needed to do that. I needed to know that there......I don't know........I needed to do it just to see that I was still okay and could feel pretty.

Now, I wear it but there is no obsession, though I was tested on that yesterday. I love the idea of putting on "eyes" and "lips" since I am fair in colour. I feel that I look more alive and it's worth the little time it takes. I love decorating myself and feeling that it's okay. That it's not any less holy or wholly to wear it than people who don't. We are all in this world to play.......with clothes.......with makeup........with cooking..........with decorating and making our surroundings inspiring to look at ...... to touch...... to eat and so on. It's all a great big celebration to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment