Friday 30 March 2012

Saddest thing

I forgot to blog yesterday. Nope, that's not the saddest thing! Hee hee. I didn't have any time yesterday to think or sit. I was in a tizzy about setting up a table for a "spring into fitness" event at a local hotel for the Royal Lepage women's run which is a big event here.

I haven't done one of these table things for a long time because I hardly get anyone to come over and talk to me......most people already "know" about yoga (usually that they can't do it or they tell me where they do it and how much they love it there), and there is not much to display, and well, I don't know why. However, I landed there yesterday. To fill out their entrance ballot for the prize draws, the women had to come over to each table and ask a question so I wasn't lonely at all. Though most still told me their experience with yoga elsewhere. Funny thing that. And I met the most lovely Bollywood Dancer at the next table and I think she belongs to my "tribe".

The keynote speaker was a man who does all kinds of different therapies. (They couldn't find a woman to talk for the women's run?) My sense was that he spoke "down" to us about things most women know about. Like what causes stress. And if we weren't scared about the environment, our food supply, our health, our death rate......well, we are now.

Health, to me, is about health. Not disease, not death - health, health, health. Wholeness and holiness and healthiness! Now, it's no one's fault there last night. This is just how we talk about health nowadays. Our statistics, our cancers, our heart disease and how we need to take care of ourselves by overindulging in more "fake" things to do. Extra vitamins, extra tests, extra treatments, extra drugs and all to "combat" our stressful world. What a negative and difficult and scary view of the world.

The contrast was huge. Here we were all there for people who "are" doing something "positive" for themselves. They are running and walking and strolling outside in the fresh air. They already know at least one really good thing for health. They are proactive.

Life and being healthy can be really fun. And I mean really fun. That's actually the fun part - being healthy.

We are all in some place on a scale of healthiness. We all have some since we live and breathe. Let's allow ourselves to be positive about that healthiness we have. Let's eat the best food as we know how and as we can afford. Let's move in enjoyable ways. We can all find something that we can love. Walk, run, dance (lots of fun dancing out there), work out at a gym, swim, yoga, tai chi, garden, shovel snow (my dad absolutely loved shoveling snow), etc. Let's start with what needs to be done. Bodies need to be fed and they need to be moved.

When we talk constantly about the lack of health and the scariness of our world situation and the infinite number of bad diseases that we can get and well, I am out of breath........ hey! Our bodies can hear all this. Our brains can hear all this. They take in our talk, our thoughts as the truth. Ourselves are the ones that are in charge here. Our minds. The body does what the mind tells it to do. And it is infinitely capable of bringing on to us what we think about most. The body can't distinguish truth from falsehood. It's the servant. The mind is the master.

The saddest thing is that we don't believe or know that life is wonderful. The saddest thing is we think we are somehow broken and need fixing. Good grief! How can we be broken? Dig deep and find the truth of You! Tell the body what you want it to hear. What you want it to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment