Tuesday 13 March 2012

This moment

Just this moment is so rich. The sunny warmer day helps to kick this off......sitting outside with a blanket tucked around me, and just sitting. Each sense is a rich bringer of experience. I closed my eyes and opened the ears hearing the wind, the birds, traffic, the snow falling off the roof, the dog in my lap scratching his ear, the far off sound of a child shouting. I closed my ears and opened the eyes seeing blue, blue sky, birds, snow, a squirrel, a neighbour shaking a rug. I closed ears and eyes, and opened the nose, smelling freshness, the warmth of melting water, my skin, the dog's breath, the flat mounds of melting dog poo nearby. I opened my pores and felt the clothes on my back, the wind on my face, my hair flapping on my cheek. Each moment can be such a symphony of experience if we can stay present to it. What else is worthy of this much attention? Nothing. The most worthy thing we can do is be truly present to this moment. It doesn't matter if you are sitting outside, washing dishes, drinking tea, scrubbing the counters, or typing on a keyboard, or planning the next day's work. Just do it with your whole being. This takes practice. At least it did and does for me. It's sounds so simple and it is simple yet it takes a commitment and a willingness to let thoughts and opinions no longer be a barrier between You and the experience.

1 comment:

  1. You really described and put into everyday words what it means to be present - what a nice reminder!
    So simple and yet so profound.

    ReplyDelete