Thursday 31 May 2012

The Best Rhubarb Cake

I love rhubarb!

This is the best tasting rhubarb cake I have found. Enjoy! I can't remember where I found the recipe.

2 cups rhubarb chopped
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven 350 C. Butter a 9 inch square cake pan.

Sprinkle rhubarb with the 2 tbsp sugar and set aside while you prepare the rest of the cake.

In a bowl combine topping with fingers - 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, coconut and cinnamon until chunky but well mixed. Set aside.

Combine together the flour and baking soda.

Combine the white sugar and the 1/2 cup butter and beat with an electric mixer for 3 to 5 minutes or until fluffy. Add egg and buttermilk, mix on slow. Add flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in rhubarb and any juices. Put in pan and cover with topping. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother used to make a cake like this. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What good timing - I was just thinking that I need to bake something with the rhubarb in the garden - I will try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete