Tuesday 8 May 2012

Blessings on ordinary days

An ordinary day. The best kind of days but we get used to them and they can feel boring and well, just plain and ordinary. Yesterday we were in a grocery store and I was bagging the groceries, Don was paying, and he is careful always to check the screen for the cashier so we don't get charged more than we should. This is a hard job when the cashier is good and swift. He squinted at the screen and said what's that irrest...frt...? That's not we have. The cashier stares at him coldly and I can see that she is trying to figure out if he is rude or some kind of other trouble-maker. She looks at me and I am smiling and then she smiles too and explains what we bought and it's some short form on the screen. Don keeps squinting and checking the prices as she watches him. And I think she had the audacity to speed up for him. She gives the amount and says there is a 20% surcharge for the best cashier and the total is.......! The two of them stared at each other and both broke out laughing. What a wonderful moment!

It seems to me everybody is just doing their thing. Their thing that they do because they do. We all do something that can drive other people crazy. We can be irritated because it seems silly or nutty or obnoxious, or we can just accept.

We then went to Timmy's for coffee with a coffee card that I found when cleaning the garden in my front yard. We live on a slope and the wind brings garbage down the hill to get trapped in the tufts of the ornamental grass at the picket fence. This year I found the Tim Horton's card with money on it, a few dollars of Canadian Tire money, and a Bulk Barn card that I haven't checked out yet. I guess that the universe is providing me a tip for cleaning up my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment