Tuesday 22 October 2013

A window.

I miss the air already.
It was a cold night last night, windy, wet, and dull. Today was the beginning of icy roads and frost crusted windshields. Closed windows too.

I could live in a house that was all windows. I not only miss the fresh air but I miss the connection to nature. I like being outside but I'm not into sports and I don't have chickens or animals outside to feed so I spend a great deal of time inside square boxes during the year. I live in a square box and work in a square box. I drive in a square box with wheels but at least there are windows. So, if I had a house that was made of all windows, everywhere I was in my home I could look out and see the weather, the birds and the trees. And people walking by. I could at least wave to them to say hello.

I have a new (and it's a second window) in my bedroom. It has changed the atmosphere in this room. I spend more time here during the day. It's no longer just a room to sleep and get dressed in. It's a sanctuary to meditate and to read and to blog and to dream. I bought more fluffy pillows. The room needs paint and organization but I don't care since I can gaze outside. As long as I have a window life is exciting!

My dad lived for long years with a stroke. He was housebound. And then he was nursing home bound. Most of the day he looked out the window. He really never looked bored. There was nothing static outside. Change constantly. He pointed to the white plume of airplane dust with joy in his eyes. Look an airplane just went by. He pointed to birds. He loved to watch the wind in the trees. I feel the depth and width of life outside the box when I gaze out the window. I feel free of tightness and worry and regret.

May you all have enough windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment