Thursday 17 October 2013

How are you?

Today, someone I hadn't seen in a long time, asked me how I was doing. I said 'fine'...'good'. And he asked about my health and I assured him 'fine'...'good'. And he asked again - well how is life? This time I answered 'very busy'. You know, the instant I said it I knew I lied. I am just the right amount of busy. And because I am self employed I can usually modify that. I felt slightly sheepish having a good life. It's like we all want to hear someone's woes. I don't mind hearing someone's woes but I wouldn't want them to make any up. I have had the habit of looking for something not so good so I can share with others. Good grief! Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we could share our joys as well. If we just looked at the joys first even. So I lied to fit in. I lied so I wouldn't put someone ill at ease. I lied out of habit. Hmmmmm. Mindfulness when speaking might be a good idea. I will think up something fabulous and witty to say when someone asks: how are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment