Saturday 26 October 2013

Writers

Since Thunder Bay is in the middle of nowhere (8 hours drive to any city in Canada), we have an amazing entertainment scene. Folks have to stop somewhere all the way through Canada. Lucky for us. Last night we attended an evening with Douglas Gibson, publisher, editor, writer and raconteur. He wrote Stories about Storytellers, a book of some of the famous Canadian authors he edited during his long career. His stories were fun and enlivening! I heard of authors I have never heard of and some more famous like Alice Munro and Hugh MacLennan and 3 Prime Ministers of Canada. I look forward to reading some of these books. I was so amazed to be so close to Douglas Gibson. It was like brushing elbows with royalty. I have a love affair with authors. I think of that profession as well......wow! The most amazing thing to do! Writing down words to amuse and inspire and inform.

Years ago I met Andy, a seeker like me and an avid reader of new age and spiritual books. He told me about Awareness by Anthony de Mello, a book which I have read more than once and it brings infinite joy to just open it anywhere and read a passage. I saw him in a parking lot much later and thanked him for getting me to read that book. He said he was reading an even better one. I was all ears. It was the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and I was in love again. I could feel the message of this wonderful book in my deep, quiet Self. Once, I even phoned his publishing company, Namaste, and asked if he could come to Thunder Bay to speak. I was ready to host! A lovely woman on the other end of the phone said that he couldn't make any engagements for the next year because he was on retreat, writing his new book, which was The New Earth. Eckhart has become so famous I dare not ask again.

No comments:

Post a Comment