Friday 6 June 2014

Super hero - Day 1

I was reading an article this morning on the possibilities of having a stroke. I have a number of things that indicate that I might have a higher chance of getting a stroke than others. I've had preeclampsia during both my pregnancies, when blood pressure and protein levels rise very high. I've had migraines, though not anymore. My father had a stroke (and he was skinny, no high cholesterol either). My blood pressure was high during menopause. And I've gained weight. So, I was feeling hopeless about my situation. I recounted all this to Don, who said, I guess all you can do is become a super hero.

Alright then. That feels right to me. If I really want something - like being really healthy because I want to live to 96 years of age and die in my bed peacefully during sleep, then I have to stop playing around. I know what I should do but I don't do it. I'm missing will. What to do?

What would a super hero do?
I think she or he would eat a good breakfast. I did that. I had a big salad of greens and other bits of veggies, half an avocado, cashew dressing, two boiled farm fresh eggs. And I didn't have coffee. I enjoyed a dandelion coffee substitute. Then I left my car in the yard and took a bus to Petrie's bike shop on the other side of town. I bought a beautiful vanilla coloured three speed bike. And since I love my brain, I bought a snazzy helmit too.

I biked half way home and had lunch at the Organic Garden Cafe. A healthy rice bowl!

By this time I am feeling high on the idea of being a super hero. I feel great! And it's a beautiful day and since the garden is planted, Don and I decided to drive to Grand Marais for the rest of the afternoon. Not by bike. By car.

Don's favourite spot to have a bite to eat is the Dock Market in Grand Marais. They serve the best fish and chips. I knew I should have had fish and coleslaw as the young girl even suggested it. Hmpf. I went with the fries. I think a super hero would have had the coleslaw. Nonetheless, we wandered around the streets, poking our head into some shops, and enjoying the gorgeous day. Since it's a few hours to drive home we thought a snack might be in order before we left. And then the PIE! A pie? A super hero pie? We even decided on pie before we walked into the restaurant. There was no stopping me. Ice cream came with it. And so did whipped cream. I ate it all.

Okay. Heading home. We couldn't remember where we left the car. And when we found the car I realized that I didn't have my keys. We backtracked. Partway I remembered that I had left them at the counter at the Birchcraft or was it the Birchbark bookstore. I got to the door and it was closed. 40 minutes ago! I poked my nose into the window. I saw a woman talking on the phone. I knocked on the glass. Whew! With keys and car we headed for home. 

Looking back at super hero day 1, I have to say it started very well. Maybe I will leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment