Monday 23 June 2014

Superhero -Day 18

Commitment is a prerequisite for depth. For passion. For joy. The capacity to be committed makes progress possible. If there is such a thing as progress. Maybe it's just unfoldment in a particular direction. Commitment means you show up even when you're not in the mood. Commitment is easy when you are in the mood. When you love something. Isn't a superhero someone who commits and follows through, especially on the days it isn't fun or easy or there doesn't appear to be time? The word commitment has such baggage with it. It seems tedious and hard but I don't think it has to be. 

There is one thing I do that manifests commitment for me. I have to have either a pure love of doing something that is as natural as breathing such as reading, so that it doesn't really require commitment or - I have to understand something. An understanding that is self evident so I don't have to wonder if it's the right thing to do. It's a knowingness. Sometimes I contemplate on it first. Why do I want to be healthy? Is this important? And I do this with oomph! It's not just a thought that can change. Once I understand I can no longer not understand. When you know - you know. 

There are the days that I falter and even fail. That is such an important moment. To just start again. Take the next step forward no matter what the mind spews out! Momentum kicks in sooner than I expect. Follow through gets easier and easier and easier. To begin anything we just have to pick ourselves up by the scruff of the neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment