Monday 9 April 2012

A good writer

I love books that make me feel. I love books that give me openness and a freedom to feel emotion or movement flow through me. I just finished The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys. I wept and felt such emotion during the last chapter. Helen opened my heart to feeling loss and longing, emotions I've felt but she gave them depth and healed something in me and I feel refreshed. It feels wonderful to go deeply into emotion. I can allow them and this feels good. I feel alive in them.

Here is an excerpt from the book:
"When a writer writes it's as if she holds the sides of her chest apart, exposes her beating heart. And even though everything wants to heal, to close over and protect the heart, the writer just keeps it bare, exposed. And in doing this, all of life is kept back, all the petty demands of the day-to-day. The heart is a river. The act of writing is the moving water that holds the banks apart, keeps the muscle of words flexing so that the reader can be carried along by this movement. To be given space and the chance to leave one's earthly world. Is there any greater freedom than this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment