Wednesday 18 July 2012

Plumbing

Recently I received a shower head and hose from a friend. It was much newer and nicer than my old one. I threw mine out because the new one appeared to work wonderfully. Next day it sprung a leak. It was cracked. Okay, I thought, I'll buy a new hose but threads are worn on the tap and the taps are super old and I have trouble opening and closing them so let's replace them too. Easy or so I thought. Hmmmmm, I forgot that my house is 100 years old and the plumbing has been repaired and reworked by different people through many years. A simple job has expanded to 3 days. My brother knows the lay of the house pretty good by now as he is my chief repair man. He tried the simple way and couldn't get parts and had to re-work pipes to suit and replace some boards and has ended up with more joints than he wanted to have. It's quite a spectacular sight!

It was funny to see 3 people standing in this tiny bedroom closet (2 x 3'), bums in the air, musing on the strange plumbing done previously and peering through tiny holes into the bathroom.

I couldn't be a plumber. Tiny spaces. Hot spaces. Burnt fingers. Leaks. Old houses.

It's amazing that one small gift of a new hose can snowball into a full blown project. And the timing was perfect. There was time to do it and the right man available for the job. It needed to be done.

So, thanks for the hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment