Tuesday 24 July 2012

Summer soup

This is one of my favourite soups to eat in the summer. It needs fresh vegetables, preferably just dug from the ground, to give it that earthy taste. I first encountered this recipe when I was living in Finland and here is my version.

2 cups water
3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
4 carrots
3/4 to 1 cup fresh peas
1 smallish cauliflower
5 to 6 small potatoes
handful of spinach
4 cups milk
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
handful of parsley

Chop vegetables into soup size pieces. Boil water with the salt and sugar. Add carrots and boil for 5 minutes, then add peas, potatoes and cauliflower. Simmer until soft. Add torn spinach.

Mix the flour into a little bit of the cold milk until smooth and stir into the soup and stir again until thickened. Add milk, stirring constantly. Bring just to boiling. Add parsley and the butter. Serve.

Here again, the soup pot was half empty when I remembered to take a picture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment